Course Cost: £120
Venue: The GreenWood Centre, Coalbrookdale, TF8 7DR
Learn to turn a wooden bowl on a traditional pole lathe. From log to bowl, you’ll learn the following processes:
- Understanding the properties of different Bristish timbers and choosing the right timber suitable for bowl turning.
- Using a froe to split the wood and how to mark out a bowl ‘blank’
- How to use an axe safely to rough out your blank
- Learning to attach a mandrel and how to mount your blanks to the lathe correctly
- Using and understanding different types of hand made turning tools
- Finishing touches; trimming, drying and oiling and/or painting your bowl
Although we are outside, we will be under cover and we recommend appropriate footwear and waterproofs. The day can be physically demanding so you’ll need a practical level of fitness or a good level of stamina!
About the tutor: Michelle Mateo was introduced to greenwood working in 2013 whilst volunteering at a woodland community called the Cherrywood Project. Since then she has had the privilege to learn from the best crafts people who have encouraged her to push her craft further; her main passion lies withing bowl turning and ash splint basketry.
BOOKING OPTIONS: Contact the Office 01952 432769 or email email@example.com
* Due to Covid-19 we will not be taking any payments until we can be sure that the course will be able to run. Bookings will still be taken as usual and payment will be requested closer to the course date when we can confirm the course is running
FURTHER INFORMATION: Contact Richard Thomason 01952 432769/07964 934556 firstname.lastname@example.org
Special offer for our members: 20% off all course fees! Please contact the Office on the details above to get your discount.