Course Cost: £120
Venue: The GreenWood Centre, Coalbrookdale, TF8 7DR
Learn to turn a wooden bowl on a traditional pole lathe. From log to bowl, you’ll learn the following processes:
- Understanding the properties of different Bristish timbers and choosing the right timber suitable for bowl turning.
- Using a froe to split the wood and how to mark out a bowl ‘blank’
- How to use an axe safely to rough out your blank
- Learning to attach a mandrel and how to mount your blanks to the lathe correctly
- Using and understanding different types of hand made turning tools
- Finishing touches; trimming, drying and oiling and/or painting your bowl
Although we are outside, we will be under cover and we recommend appropriate footwear and waterproofs. The day can be physically demanding so you’ll need a practical level of fitness or a good level of stamina!
About the tutor: Michelle Mateo was introduced to greenwood working in 2013 whilst volunteering at a woodland community called the Cherrywood Project. Since then she has had the privilege to learn from the best crafts people who have encouraged her to push her craft further; her main passion lies withing bowl turning and ash splint basketry.
BOOKING AND PAYMENT OPTIONS: Contact the Office on 01952 432769 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
FURTHER INFORMATION: Contact Richard Thomason 01952 432769/07964 934556 email@example.com
Special offer for our members: 20% off all course fees! Please contact Judith on the details above to get your discount.