ELMS Small Woodland Project Manager
Are you passionate about the future for woodland management & creation?
We are, and we are doing something about it. We are looking for an exceptional individual to join Small Woods as we work to solve one of our nation’s biggest environmental challenges
Small Woods is leading a project on behalf of Defra to investigate the future of land management support for our smaller woodlands. We have started the process of investigation as part of Defra’s ELMS programme and are now recruiting for a Project Manager.
Initially a 12 month appointment, the role is to oversee directly the delivery of the Defra ELMS Tests and Trials programme;
The post holder will have lead responsibility for ensuring the delivery of contracted project.
Working directly to the Chief Executive:
• You will take responsibility for establishing an assurance and delivery framework that ensures the delivery of all contracted outputs and committed activity;
• You will oversee implementation, ensuring it is done in pursuance of SWA’s commitment to multi-objective sustainable woodland management;
• You will contribute to the strategic management of the organisation, as part of the SWA Senior Leadership Team, as well as working with the CEO in reporting to the Board;
• You should be able to communicate to a high level on woodland management and ownership matters; as well as promoting the voice of small woodland owners and SWA members positively and confidently;
• You will also be responsible for project proposals supporting our woodland management work, facilitating the expansion of the Association’s work;
• You will be required to be a leading face for the organisation, representing the SWA at policy and networking events.
Although the work will be centred on the Green Wood Centre in Shropshire, the actual working location is flexible. You will work as part of a growing organisation, which is ambitious regarding our impact for woods and people, working in a friendly and committed team who are at the heart of a growing community of practical woodland users and managers.
- Have excellent understanding of land use policy
- Have experience of practical application of UK land use schemes
- Be up for the challenge
£30,162 (3.5 days per week, pro rata; pay review pending)
The full job description can be found here ELMS Project Lead
Closing Date: 18th May 2020 midday. Interviews will be held online
Volunteer Woodland Interns at the Green Wood Centre
Small Woods Association are providing an opportunity to gain experience within the woodland and greenwood craft sector for volunteer woodland interns.
Rolling program – 6 week blocks.
No direct experience required but would have volunteered or trained in a related discipline.
Keen to learn and gain experience within the woodland and Green wood craft sector.
Woodland Interns will work 4 days a week which may include weekends and will undertake:
- Support training manger promote training courses and woodland initiatives
- Prepare tools and materials for craft and woodland courses
- Assist course tutors to undertake Woodland management and Greenwood Craft courses
- Undertake Woodland management, timber extraction and processing
- Undertake a craft based project.
Work experience will be based at the Green Wood Centre, Station Road Coalbrookdale. Telford. TF8 7DR. Accommodation is available so please enquire.
Contact Richard Thomason Tel. 01952 432769, email. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your CV along with a statement of why you would like to take part in a Small Woods Association internship to: email. email@example.com