We are the national organisation for woodland owners, workers and supporters. We are here to support you in all aspects of woodland management whether you are an experienced woodland owner, just starting out, or simply an enthusiast.
We offer our members a wide range of training, events and support designed to help you to make decisions about woodland management, whether you are managing it for wood fuel, timber, wildlife or recreation, or indeed a mixture. We aim to help, whatever your motivation or stage of development.
We offer a wide range of benefits
- Our quarterly magazine Smallwoods, which covers different aspects of woodland management, book and equipment reviews, news on woodland health and more. Click here to see a sample copy.
- Our woodland management advice line, signposting you to the right information for your woodland.
- Our monthly members’ email newsletter.
- Free member events in members’ woodlands throughout the UK.
- Discount on our nationally renowned range of courses at the Green Wood Centre.
- A free copy of our 70-page Small Woods Information Pack covering everything from finding a woodland and setting objectives to marketing timber and enhanced biodiversity.
- Access to our Mentor scheme, pairing experienced members with those new to woodland management.An invitation to our annual Skill Share and AGM event.
With your support
Your support means we can continue our policy work with national and regional bodies, ensuring that the interests of our small woodlands and those caring for them are not forgotten.
By choosing to join the Small Woods Association, you will become part of the UK’s leading charity working with owners and managers to bring neglected woodlands back into active management.
We stand for living sustainable woods: alive with wildlife, people and work.
Our work is urgent, as currently around half of UK woodlands are under- or un-managed and therefore do not achieve their potential in providing opportunities for people and wildlife. Your membership will help us change that.
- Individual (£36 per year) membership for owners and managers
- Family (£49 per year) membership for families
- Coppice and craft worker (£28 per year)
- Community woodland group (£36 per year) membership for community woodland groups
- Corporate (£101 per year)
- Life membership is available. Please contact the office for more details.
You can join us online here (payments are taken through our secure payments gateway provided by Stripe)
Pay by Direct Debit
Please print off and complete the Direct Debit form below together with the Membership Application form and return to our office.
Pay by cheque
Please fill in the membership application form and send it back to us along with a cheque made payable to Small Woods Association for the required amount. Please note that membership fees are slightly higher when paid by cheque to cover the additional administration time.